Skin, our largest organ and biggest age giveaway. Daily we're bombarded with do's and don'ts when it comes to caring for our skin, but sometimes we just want to cut to the chase and find out a little more about the 'skin we're in'.
We've devised a short (and hopefully interesting!) post all about skin - what makes it tick and how you can treat it well and keep it looking younger for longer.
Interesting skin facts:
- Eyelid skin is very thin. That’s why it’s important to care for your eyes gently.
- Going to bed with makeup can age skin up to 7 times faster.
- Oily skin is more prone to breakouts, but is less prone to wrinkles.
- Your skin loses 30,000 to 40,000 dead skin cells almost every minute.
- Your skin sheds a layer of dead cells every 24 hours.
- Your skin renews itself every 28 days. As we age, skin takes longer to renew. That’s why we exfoliate and supplement our skin’s renewal process with microdermabrasionand peels.
- Globally, dead skin cells make up a billion tons of dust in the atmosphere, and 90% of household dust is dead skin cells – lovely!
Which areas of your body are giving your age away?
We've created our own, bite-sized guide below:
Eyes – crows feet, every woman’s worst nightmare. The thin skin around the eyes loses its elasticity as we age, giving way to wrinkles. Use eye cream and salon treatments such as microdermabrasion to restore skins natural collegen.
Mouth – it’s not just smokers who need to beware, we’re all prone to lines forming around our mouths as we age, especially if we have a tendancy to chatter, smile and
Hands - hands are constantly exposed to the sun and come in contact with various other chemical substances throughout the day, so it's no wonder they are the first ones to betray someone's real age. While most women are aware of the need for moisturizing and sun protection, areas such as the back of the hands often neglected. Make sure to use intensely moisturizing creams and be sure to apply sunscreen thoroughly to prevent age spots.
Elbows - Elbows are exposed to a lot of movement and friction on a daily basis, so it makes sense the elbows are among the most revealing clues as far as real age is concerned. The skin around the elbows is very prone to sagging which is why it's advised to diligently exfoliate, moisturize and protect the area.
Neck & cleavage area - The neck and cleavage area are often the body parts that shows the signs of aging first, which is why one of the best things you can do is use the same treatments you use on the face to care for these areas.
Knees – forget knobbly knees, it’s sagging you have to worry about as fatty deposits start to form. Help your knees out and use sunscreen, firming creams and exercises which target this area such as squats or lunges.
To find out more on ageing skin, you can find plenty of anti ageing hints and tips, plus lots of information on other skin problems including acne, dull and tired skin and even pigmentation on our Beauty Blog.